By Ovais Gull
Srinagar: Stating that 69 militants have been killed this year so far, Army and police in a joint presser on Wednesday said that nobody is coming forward to take over the leadership of Jaish-e-Muhammad.
Addressing a joint presser today at PCR here, DGP who was accompanied by 15 Corps commander Lt Gen Kanwal Jeet Singh Dhillon and IGP Kashmir Swayam Parakash Pani said, “The leadership of JeM has been killed and nobody is coming forweard now to take over as leadership of the outfit.”
About the militancy operations in the Valley, DGP said, “The operations have not been stopped but this may be coincidental that encounters are not taking place during elections. It is true that our main focus is to ensure smooth conduct of elections, but that doesn’t mean that operations has been seized but yes the engagements are lesser.”
He further stated that the recruitment of local youth joining militant ranks was low, which is a good sign.
Asked about number of youth missing from South Kashmir, IGP Kashmir said, “There were some reports that some youth are missing but many of them came back as they were not missing to join militancy but there were some other reasons behind.”
Meanwhile, 15 corps commander, LT Gen KJS Dhillon informed that 69 militants were killed in this year while 12 others were apprehended. He said post Pulwama attack, 41 militants were killed while 25 among them were affiliated with JeM.
He said 13 out of 25 were foreigners and were falling in category A+ or above. “Specifically we have targeted JeM, now there is no one coming forward to take over as leadership of JeM in the Valley.”
“Inpsite of Pakistan efforts, we will continue to struck JeM. I want to assure that operations against militants will continue with full vigor and we will not let the militancy to the rise to level as they were enjoying,” he added.
Dhillon further stated that the recruitment of local youth has come down. “I would like to suggest local youth who have joined militancy to come forward and surrender. We assure them of their security and safety,” he added.
He further appealed youth not to come to the encounter sites during encounters and after encounters.
About highway ban, Dhillon said it is a temporary measure and some restrictions have already been revoked. “Even on the day when there was convey movement, the people who were essential to move were allowed to move freely,” he told reporters.
About number of active militants, he said, “the number of active militants varies from north to south. We have the exact details but we will not like to share the details at this juncture.”