INS Correspondent
No Comments

New Zealand mosque massacre: Death toll 49, 48 injured

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

New Zealand: The deadly terror attack on Friday prayers in two christchurch mosques has left forty-nine people killed and 48 more hurt.

According to nzherald.co.nz anxious family and friends are pacing outside Christchurch Hospital, waiting for news of injured loved ones.

Some of the shooting victims have been released and allowed to go home.

According to the report Police Commissioner Mike Bush said the shootings were “abhorrent”.

“At the Deans Ave mosque 41 people were killed, while seven had died at the Linwood mosque. A 49th person had died in hospital,” he said.

One man, 28, had been charged with murder and was due to appear in Christchurch District Court tomorrow morning. Two others remain in custody

“We have staff around the country making sure everyone is safe, including armed offenders at all mosques. Police staff have gone above and beyond to protect people today.”

Bush said police recovered a lot of firearms from both the Linwood Avenue and Deans Ave shooting scenes.

None of the four people arrested had been on any terrorism watch, including in Australia, the Police Commissioner said.

 

the story first appeared in nzherald.co.nz

 

Loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *