The INS News
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Regional
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
    • National
    • World
  • Business & Economy
  • Multimedia
    • Photo Gallery
    • Video Gallery
  • Health
  • Jobs & Careers
  • Press Releases
  • Blog
  • Home
  • News
    • Regional
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
    • National
    • World
  • Business & Economy
  • Multimedia
    • Photo Gallery
    • Video Gallery
  • Health
  • Jobs & Careers
  • Press Releases
  • Blog
No Result
View All Result
The INS News
No Result
View All Result
Home News Regional

J&K admin allows 8th Muharram procession for 3rd consecutive year

Thousands of mourners march from Guru Bazar to Dalgate; Traffic diverted

INS Correspondent by INS Correspondent
July 4, 2025
A A
J&K admin allows 8th Muharram procession for 3rd consecutive year
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterWhatsappTelegramEmail

Srinagar, Jul 04: For the third consecutive year, the Jammu and Kashmir administration on Friday allowed the 8th Muharram procession along its traditional route—from Guru Bazar to Dalgate, in which thousands of mourners participated amid heightened security and volunteer support.

RELATED POSTS

J&K power tariff hiked by 6.83% from September 01

DGP Reviews SOG Preparedness, Interacts with Personnel in Shopian

Agriculture Emerging as Next Big Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship: LG Sinha

The pre-dawn procession began at 5:00 AM from Guru Bazar and passed through Budshah Kadal and Maulana Azad Road before culminating at Dalgate.

Earlier, barred for over 35 years due to security concerns in the late 1980s, the traditional mourning route was restored in 2023, a move welcomed across religious and civil society circles.

The administration had made elaborate security and logistical arrangements. The Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, Vijay Kumar Bidhuri, and senior police officials had earlier chaired high-level meetings with representatives of Shia organisations ahead of Muharram to coordinate efforts.

Also, traffic police Srinagar city issued an advisory in advance, announcing that vehicular movement along the route from Guru Bazar to Dalgate would be restricted from early morning. Additionally, traffic was diverted via Residency Road, Hari Singh High Street, Jehangir Chowk, and other inner routes, with designated parking provided at Gindun Park and SP College.

Moreover, water sprinklers were also being deployed at various locations along the procession route to provide relief from the rising temperatures, and hundreds of community volunteers were stationed for crowd management and emergency assistance.

Eyewitnesses and participants said that Aazadar-e-Hussain are now marching peacefully, beating their chests and chanting elegies in memory of Imam Hussain (AS), the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Buy JNews
ADVERTISEMENT

“It is reassuring that for the third consecutive year, we have been able to take out the 8th Muharram procession peacefully,” said Syed Murtaza Rizvi, a mourner from Srinagar. “For decades, this route remained off-limits. Seeing mourners walk it again reflects a positive shift, one we hope continues,” he said.

“Seeing mourners commemorating the martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain (AS) is indeed a good step,” said Naqib Abbas Baba from Srinagar. “We are thankful to the administration for allowing us to take the 8th Muharram procession this year too,” added a group of mourners near Jehangir Chowk.

It may be recalled that Muharram processions along this route were banned since the late 1980s due to the political and security situation in the Valley. For over three decades, the 8th Muharram procession was only permitted in selected areas under tight restrictions, and it is ongoing. The lifting of the ban in 2023 marked a major shift in policy and was hailed as a step towards religious inclusivity and reconciliation.

Moreover, the 8th of Muharram is part of the broader commemoration leading up to Ashura, the 10th of Muharram, which marks the martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain (AS)—the grandson of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), along with 72 of his companions in the Battle of Karbala in present-day Iraq. (KNO)

Previous Post

LG meets young National-level Wushu player from Bla

Next Post

J&K’s future lies in hands of young scientists: CM Omar at SKUAST-K Convocation

INS Correspondent

INS Correspondent

Related Posts

J&K power tariff hiked by  6.83% from September 01
Regional

J&K power tariff hiked by 6.83% from September 01

August 22, 2026
DGP Reviews SOG Preparedness, Interacts with Personnel in Shopian
Regional

DGP Reviews SOG Preparedness, Interacts with Personnel in Shopian

August 21, 2026
Agriculture Emerging as Next Big Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship: LG Sinha
Regional

Agriculture Emerging as Next Big Frontier for Youth Entrepreneurship: LG Sinha

August 21, 2026
50 JKAS officers appointed as Liaison Officers for 1st IFFJK
Regional

50 JKAS officers appointed as Liaison Officers for 1st IFFJK

August 21, 2026
LG Sinha visits Vibrant Village Karol Krishna in Kathua
Regional

LG Sinha visits Vibrant Village Karol Krishna in Kathua

August 20, 2026
Athwas Presents JKPL Season 3: Uniform launch event held at Royal Springs Golf Course
Regional

Athwas Presents JKPL Season 3: Uniform launch event held at Royal Springs Golf Course

August 20, 2026
Next Post
“I Was the Chief Minister of a State… Now of a Union Territory — This Must Be Corrected Soon”: Omar at Katra event

J&K's future lies in hands of young scientists: CM Omar at SKUAST-K Convocation

8-yr-old girl drowns in Kishanganga river in Gurez

Teen drowns in Jhelum at Hajin, rescue ops launched




5 J&K workers killed in Kuwait accident, families seek repatriation of bodies

5 J&K workers killed in Kuwait accident, families seek repatriation of bodies

April 9, 2026
Govt announces public holidays in poll-bound areas on polling dates

Lokesh Dutt Jha nominated JKPDC’s nominee Chairman on CVPPPL Board

October 8, 2018
Sacrifices of Pakistani nation against terrorism will not go waste: Nawaz

Sacrifices of Pakistani nation against terrorism will not go waste: Nawaz

July 2, 2017

About

Indian News Service (INS) is the first registered online news portal from the state of Jammu & Kashmir. Our creative team consists of like-minded and socially concerned team of media professionals who carry decades of experience in their field of profession at their back. Our core values have pillars in honesty, empathy, credibility, equality and integrity.

More

© 2022 INS News - Designed by GITS.

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Regional
    • Srinagar
    • Jammu
    • National
    • World
  • Business & Economy
  • Multimedia
    • Photo Gallery
    • Video Gallery
  • Health
  • Jobs & Careers
  • Press Releases
  • Blog

© 2022 INS News - Designed by GITS.